Friday

Polytechnic

The Polytechnic exhibition was an example of artists work from the late 1970's to the early 1980's, but what connects the artists is the way that they experimented with their practice with a focus on narrative. 
Many of the works were video pieces, such as "Lenny's Documentary" by Ian Bourn, one of my favourite film pieces at the exhibition. It was based on the grainy black and white films from the 60's, but with a documentary twist. "Lenny" uses the camera as some sort of confessional, discussing his background and life, particularly focusing on class differences, in a frank and candid way.

I chose to photograph this piece of artwork due to the interesting way the photographs were laid out in the room. I felt like the walls were unstable and that I was walking through something temporary, making me want to take in the art work before it vanished. Yet they also became part of the furniture of the room. The photographs themselves are of sets of rooms, recording the intersections and spaces. The pieces create a dialogue with the question of space.
This piece of art work really struck a chord with me; I found it haunting yet fascinating at the same time. I was confused about exactly what I should feel as opposed to what I felt. All I wanted to do was read every minute detail and find out the stories of what appeared to be the gravestones of heroes. By that I mean someone who saved another, unfortunately perishing themselves.

The plaques are arranged into the shape of a diamond, implying that the monuments could continue on around  the shape, even covering the wall. The piece constructs questions about identity and heroism; what makes a hero? Will we be remembered as hero's after we're gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment