Wednesday

Sally O'Reilly

O'Reilly's lecture was actually a screening of her film "A Rolling Stone: The dynamics of cliche", which was a welcome change from the traditional lecture structure. The documentary-style art film provoked thought about the ideas of cliche by using cliche itself. Imagery such as trees as a symbol for rebirth and life were repeated throughout the film. Overall I didn't make many notes on the film, watching it instead and letting it wash over me. I have to admit that I didn't connect to the work much, it wasn't bad but it didn't inspire me either. I liked the ideas behind the work; the use of cliches can work for or against a piece. It's well known that obvious cliches can really put the viewer off, unless using a cliche to become an icon, which will then unite the viewer with other members of the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment