Wednesday

Hew Locke at Hales Gallery

The Hew Locke exhibition was definitely one of my favourites, much to the disappointment of one of my tutors. I loved the effect that the beads gave, they looked like lines and drips of ink and also created a shadow on the wall behind them, making the entire room appear to come alive. Clearly the use of materials was a major choice in the installation; the beads can't have been easy to attach to the wall, let alone manipulate into the intricate detail of the images. The entire room was covered in the beads, that form a procession. The figures in the procession draw upon a lot of historical and contemporary references, such as Medieval frescos, Venetian architecture and Egyptian tomb paintings. They might appear to be cliches of the "Last Procession" but the idea of the endless parade of frightening figures transforms the old reproduced image.


The examples of the exhibition that I've shown here are some of my favourite images from the gallery. I loved the terrifying winged man the most; it has been beautifully created but it's also kind of creepy - my favourite style. The bead "drips" appear to be like chains, holding the winged man in some kind of void.



No comments:

Post a Comment